Get assistance to study at a German university
How to study at a university in Germany
High School Diploma
Program of German Level C1 (one year from A1-C1)
Studienkolleg (Pre-University 1 year)
University Undergraduate 3-4 years
Steps to the university
Registration for German program, university placement service & confirmation of language course
- Review of the documents by BWS Germanlingua that will determine if a year of Studienkolleg is necessary or if it is possible to access the university directly. We will do the application at three universities of your choice.
- Application to universities that will then issue a document which is necessary for the visa, the ‘VDP’ (Vordokumentationsprüfung.)
Opening of a blocked bank account
- You will take the necessary months of Intensive German course to reach the level required for the university program.
- In the last four weeks of the German course, you will take additional classes of preparation for the admission exam to Studienkolleg or the university.
- Successful participation in a year of Studienkolleg in your area of studies. You have to pass the final exam of Studienkolleg.
- At the end of Studienkolleg you have to apply again to university to start to study your career. BWS Germanlingua will help you with the application.
Requirements for the application for the pathway/ university program
Requirements for the university application:
- legalized translated and certified copies of the high school diploma
- CV in German
- motivation letter in German
- 3 passport photos
- copy of the passport
- German certificate, if you have one
Please send us the documents by e-mail. If your knowledge of German is not good enough yet, kindly send us an officially translated CV and motivation letter.
Certified copies of the certificates including certified translation if they are not issued in German or English:
- school leaving certificate including an overview of subjects and grades (X and X+II)
- pre-university examination (if available)
- university diploma including an overview of subjects and grades (if available)
Studienkolleg application (pre-university):
Studienkolleg is a public educational institution in Germany that offers courses to international students in order to prepare for academic studies at German universities. It is for those whose graduation certificate is not recognized as equivalent to the German qualification for university entrance (Abitur). The courses last two semesters and can be started twice a year, in winter or in summer. To enter Studienkolleg you must take an admission exam. Studienkolleg not only prepares for the assessment exam (Feststellungsprüfung or final exam), but also expands the knowledge of the German language and also prepares for the university itself. Depending on the undergraduate program you want to study, the courses at Studienkolleg have a different focus and prepare students for the methodology and to meet the academic and linguistic challenges that are required to study at an undergraduate program in Germany.
Normally, classes at Studienkolleg are from Monday to Friday, with 28-32 mandatory hours in small groups. The language of instruction is German. Each Studienkolleg has its own dates, but in general the courses start between January and April and between July and October. Before the admission to Studienkolleg you are required to pass a German exam and in the case of courses in engineering, mathematics, and natural sciences you must pass a math test as well and sometimes also an English exam. These exams are done both at the beginning of September or January. As a general rule, the admission exam will be two weeks before the start of Studienkolleg.
Depending on the studies, you are obliged to take one of the following courses offered by Studienkolleg:
- Course T: for courses in engineering, mathematics and natural sciences.
- Course M: for courses in medical and biological sciences.
- Course W: for courses in economic and social sciences.
- Course G: for humanities, languages and art courses.
In case the university does not accept your credentials we grant you a refund of € 500.
Dates for the application, the beginning of the semesters, the admission exam and the final exam of Studienkolleg (Pre-University).
- Winter semester (Wintersemester): May 15 to July 15
- Summer semester (Sommersemester) *: November 15 to January 15
* Not all courses of studies start in summer semester
- Winter semester: September / October
- Summer semester *: March / April
* Not all courses of studies start in summer semester
Duration of university career in Germany
- Undergraduate: 3 to 4 years
- Masters: 1 to 2 years
- Doctorate: 3 to 6 years
Universities and study fields
BWS Germanlingua cooperates with the universities LMU Ludwig Maximilians Universität and TUM Technische Universität in Munich, FU Freie Universität and TU Technische Universität in Berlin and Universität zu Köln and FH Köln in Cologne. Your application can be done at any other university in Germany. More universities can be found at: www.hochschulkompass.de
Automation Engineering, Information Technology, Biotechnology, Business Administration, Business Administration and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Law, Medicine, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Engineering, Health Care Management, Automotive Informatics, Microtechnology and much more.
- the application is from November 15 to January 15
- the admission exam is at the beginning of February
- the semester begins at the end of February
- the final exam is in early December
- the application is from May 15 to July 15
- the admission exam is at the beginning of September.
- the semester begins at the end of September
- the final exam is at the beginning of June